Badger Independent School District No. 676
Regular Meeting – Monday, September 8, 2014
The Board of Education of Badger Independent School District No. 676 held a regular meeting on Monday, September 8, 2014.
Chairperson, Kevin Randall, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
Roll Call: Kevin Randall, Jim Christianson, Carol Rhen, Cari Dostal, Connie Creviston, Jamie Isane.
Administration present: Tom Jerome, Joni Pelowski, Stacey Warne
Department Managers present: Bob Glen
Visitors present: Becky Dostal, Sherri Kruger, Eldon Sparby
Eldon Sparby provided a handout with detailed information on the 2014-2015 Sports Coop Athletic Programs.
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the minutes of the August 11, 2014, Regular Board Meeting. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Creviston to approve the minutes of the August 27, 2014, Special Board Meeting. Member Dostal seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Isane to approve the payment of bills check #55335 through check #55400 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated September 4, 2014, and Electronic Funds Transfers as submitted. Member Randall seconded the motion. U.C.
Superintendent Jerome reported on the following items:
1) Bob Glen provided the Board with an update on routine repair and maintenance. He informed Board Members that the new sprinkler system for the football field is here but not hooked up yet.
2) As of September 5, 2014, Badger School enrollment is 254.
3) The MREA Annual Conference will be held November 16-18, 2014 at Cragun’s Resort near Brainerd, MN. A handout was provided on conference offerings and items were briefly reviewed. Board Members were asked to let Superintendent Jerome know by the end of this week if they plan to attend.
4) New teacher orientation was held on August 25, 2014. Badger Staff Fall Workshop was held August 26-28, 2014. The workshop schedule was reviewed and a video presented to Staff was shown.
5) A “Back to School Open House” was held on August 28, 2014, giving parents, students, and community members an opportunity to meet and greet teachers and administrators.
6) An MREA Regional Meeting is scheduled for September 18, 2014, in Thief River Falls from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Fred Nolan, MREA Executive Director, and Sam Walseth, MREA Legislative Lobbyist, will be presenters at the meeting. School Board Members were asked to let Superintendent Jerome know if interested in attending.
7) The MSBA Regional Meeting is scheduled for September 24, 2014, at 4:00 p.m. in Thief River Falls, MN. The meeting agenda was briefly reviewed. School Board Members were asked to let Superintendent Jerome know if interested in attending.
8) MSBA/MASA Model Policy 514, Bullying Prohibition Policy, was distributed for first reading. Recommendation for adoption will occur at the October School Board Meeting.
9) Badger School District recently received a donation of $236.39 from the Target Corporation for “Take charge of Education” donations. The money will be placed in a student activity account to be utilized by students.
10) The Border State Bank of Badger recently delivered a large quantity of student school supplies and backpacks. The supplies were donated by individuals and collected by Border State Bank. Supplies will be made available to students and distributed to families as needed throughout the year.
11) Auditions for the Badger One Act Play will occur in September. Ryan Modahl will once again direct the One Act Play.
12) A meeting occurred with representatives of Roseau County on the afternoon of Friday, September 5, 2014, on the street improvement project.
13) Installation of the permanent bleachers in the gymnasium is tentatively scheduled for October 16-17, 2014, during the MEA break.
14) The annual school financial audit was conducted on August 11-12, 2014. A Brady Martz representative is tentatively scheduled to provide a report to the Board during the October School Board Meeting.
15) 2014 payable 2015 Levy Limitation and Certification was discussed.
Dean of Students Report:
1) Homecoming dates and events were reviewed.
2) Mr. Warne presented an informational video on the Ramp-Up for Education Program starting in the Badger School this school year.
3) The high school master schedule was discussed.
1) A motion was made by Member Christianson to accept the cash report as of August 31, 2014. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
Old Business: None
1) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Dostal that “BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Education of District 676 certify the 2014 payable 2015 levy at the maximum amount”. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Isane to adjourn the meeting at 8:57 p.m. U.C.
1) Safety Committee Meeting – October 13, 2014 @ 6:30 in the FACS Room
1) Regular School Board Meeting – October 13, 2014 @ 7:30 p.m. – ITV Room
Cari Dostal, Clerk
Kevin Randall, Chairperson
(October 22, 2014)