School District #676 Proceedings (0624)
Regular Meeting – Monday, May 11, 2015
The Board of Education of Badger Independent School District No. 676 held a regular meeting on Monday, April 11, 2015.
Chairperson Jamie Isane called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m.
Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, Carol Rhen, Cari Dostal, Connie Creviston, Jeramy Swenson
Administration present: Tom Jerome, Stacey Warne
Department Managers present: Bob Glen
Visitors present: Ashley Lambert, Becky Ylitalo, Gretchen Lee
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the minutes of the April 13, 2015, Regular Board Meeting. Member Creviston seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Dostal to approve the payment of bills check #55935 through check #56002 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated
May 4, 2015, and Electronic Funds Transfers as submitted. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
Superintendent Jerome reported on the following items:
1) Bob Glen provided a building and grounds report stating that the State Fire Marshall is scheduled to visit the school on May 12, 2015. Also, street runoff water is still entering the transportation office.
2) As of May 5, 2015, Badger School District enrollment is 257.
3) Two initial meeting dates for Interest Based Collective Bargaining have been cancelled by Janet Johnson due to conflicts with her schedule. Board Members discussed possible future dates for consideration of June 16, 17, and 18.
4) Minnesota Statute, Section 128c.01 requires individual school boards each year to authorize membership in the Minnesota State High School League. A resolution for membership must be on file with the Minnesota High School League office for schools to be eligible to complete in post-season tournaments.
5) National Ride Your Bike to School Week is May 13, 2015. Participating Badger School District employees will ride their bike to school. Distances range from approximately 17 miles to a few blocks.
6) Staff members have submitted capital project requests for future consideration.
Requests include, but are not limited to: wash basin in the elementary wing, curriculum, technology, equipment to be utilized for maintenance and upkeep of school building and grounds, and building or remodeling projects.
7) The Accelerated Reader Committee has met on multiple occasions to review existing policy and possible alternative options of implementing the Accelerated Reader Program at the secondary level. Changes to the program, beginning with the 2015-2016 academic year, were reviewed and discussed.
8) The District is currently requesting quotes for a new ipad cart and ipads for student classroom use. Computers will be purchased this spring/summer and be ready for student use in the media center this fall.
9) A schedule of May school events were reviewed and discussed.
10) Graduation ceremony will take place on Sunday, May 17, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. Jamie Isane and Carol Rhen will represent the Board to award diplomas to the graduates.
11) Mr. Brady Johnson began employment with the Badger School District in school year 2012-2013. He currently serves as 7-12 Social Science teacher, Student Council commended tenure for Mr. Johnson.
12) The Minnesota Department of Education requires school districts to designate an on behalf of the district. MDE strongly recommends the individual assigned be the School Superintendent or Director.
13) FCCLA students, Madison Truscinski and Kennedy Truscinski, have qualified to attend the National FCCLA Conference in Washington D.C. Robby Davy will also attend as the FCCLA Region 8 President. These three students, along with their advisor, Gretchen Lee, will depart on July 4, 2015, and return July 10, 2015.
Approximate budget submitted will be in the range of $7500.00 to $8000.00.
Superintendent Jerome recommended a District contribution of $4,000.00, 50% of anticipated expenditures, similar to board approved action in the past.
14) A listing of email addresses for Board Members was reviewed and updated.
Dean of Students Report:
1) State MCA testing is complete. There were 27 test sessions, with 330 tests taken by students in grades 3 through 11.
2) A committee of eight staff members will review student handbook procedures, recommend changes, and request approval at the June School Board Meeting.
3) Academic school year 2015-2016 high school registration is taking place at this time.
Completion is anticipated by the end of this week.
1) A motion was made by Member Swenson to accept the cash report as of April 30,2015. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
2) Following extensive research, the Facility Committee is recommending remodeling existing space to accommodate special needs students. School Board instructed Superintendent Jerome to contact local contractors to obtain quotes.
1) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Dostal to designate Superintendent Tom Jerome as the identified School District official with authority to access External User Access Recertification System as needed and to authorize access by users to Minnesota Department of Education secure websites. U.C.
2) A motion was made by Member Swenson and seconded by Member Rhen to approve tenure of Mr. Brady Johnson, Social Sciences teacher. U.C.
3) A motion was made by Member Dostal and seconded by Member Christianson to approve contribution of $4000.00 to FCCLA as needed for expenses related to the FCCLA National Conference. U.C.
4) A motion was made by Member Swenson and seconded by Member Rhen to authorize membership in the Minnesota State High School League and delegates the control, supervision and regulation of interscholastic athletic and fine arts events to the Minnesota State High School League. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Dostal to adjourn the meeting at 9:06 p.m. U.C.
1) Regular School Board Meeting – June 8, 2015 @ 7:30 p.m. – ITV Room
Cari Dostal, Clerk
Jamie Isane, Chairperson
(June 10, 2015)