Skip to content

Dorothy Reierson

Dorothy Reierson (nee Horntvedt) of Bloomington and Wabanica Twp passed away January 14, 2015.  She was born in Baudette on August 12, 1924 to Anna and Martin Horntvedt, where she grew up on the banks of Wabanica Creek.  Dorothy began her education at the one room school house in Wabanica and graduated from Baudette High School.  She married Glenn Reierson in 1948 while he and his family owned and operated Reierson’s Resort (currently Wheeler’s Point Resort).  Shortly thereafter they left Baudette for Grand Forks and Devil’s Lake, eventually settling in Bloomington, MN.   

Their residence in Wabanica started as an annual vacation spot for family and eventually became a retirement home for her and Glenn and a gathering spot known as ‘The Point’.   Summer vacations often included a batch of booya, days in the making (including the old stewing hen), to be enjoyed by friends and family at The Point.  She loved blueberry picking, which we all loved because it meant an abundance of blueberry pancakes for breakfast the next morning – yum! 

Dorothy looked forward to her many return trips to Baudette where she enjoyed antiquing, garage sales, fishing, snowmobiling, reading, visiting with her many friends and extended family and enjoying the great outdoors. She was known for spending some time at the slot machines in Warroad, along with catching up on the local happenings at Adrian’s and the Legion meat raffle (while maybe playing a pulltab or two).  She always began her days in Baudette with a cup of coffee in bed looking at the wildlife outside, regardless of the season.

Dorothy was preceded in death by Glenn and siblings Irwin, Bernell, Earl and Mildred.  She is survived by children Gladyce ‘Cookie’ (Paul) Riemer, Jerry (Lynne), Keith ‘Mick’ (Char), Pat Hearn, Barb (Neil) Nelson, Curt (Nancy), Scott (Linda), Jay (Marilyn) and Dave (Ann).  She has 21 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and many special nieces, nephews and extended family. 

Interment service will be held at 2:30 pm on July 18th, 2015 at Wabanica Lutheran Cemetery.

Leave a Comment