The Board of Education of Badger Independent School District No. 676 held a regular meeting on Monday, September 14, 2015.
Chairperson, Jamie Isane, called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, Carol Rhen, Cari Dostal, Connie Creviston
Absent: Jeramy Swenson
Administration present: Tom Jerome, Stacey Warne
Visitors present: Becky Dostal, Mary Langaas, Alyssa DeMars, Bev Holm, Barb Holum, Gary Scramstad, Marcia Yates, Carolyn Lange, and Carol Gregerson
Concerned citizens presented a signed petition requesting the District to reinstate the titles “Christmas Vacation, Christmas Concert, and Christmas Program” in the Badger School, stating that observance of the Christmas Holiday is a part of our children’s heritage, is our children’s constitutional right under the Freedom of Religion, and is a matter of great importance to the Community of Badger.
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the minutes of the August 10, 2015, Regular Board Meeting. Member Creviston seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the payment of bills check #56198 through check #56266 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated September 4, 2015, and Electronic Funds Transfers as submitted. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
Additional Agenda Items:
Superintendent Jerome addressed the School Board regarding the petition presented by six citizens of Badger Community. Superintendent Jerome stated that the Badger School is a public school that consists of students from various backgrounds and various beliefs and values. The Badger School will continue to conduct school in a manner that is respectful to all students and in accordance with district policy. Superintendent Jerome noted that Badger music teachers choose the concert music and at this time are not in favor of going to a “Christmas Concert”. Superintendent Jerome also commented on the fact that Administrative directives are not given to music teachers on choosing musical pieces for concerts. This situation will likely be addressed at an upcoming School Board Meeting.
Superintendent Jerome reported on the following items:
1) Building and grounds are in good shape with a minor problem with the refrigerator and oven.
2) The Minnesota Department of Education has designated the Badger Elementary School as a Reward School. Based on the Multiple Measurements Ratings System, Reward Schools are categorized at the top 15% academically achieving schools in Minnesota that demonstrate exemplary academic achievements in state exam proficiency, student growth, and closing of the achievement gap.
3) The Badger Education Association has reviewed and ratified a tentative 2015-2017 Certified Staff Master Agreement. Upon official Board action, the tentative agreement will become ratified.
4) The Badger School District financial audit was conducted on-site on August 10 and 11, 2015. A final report is anticipated in October, pending finalization. A favorable report is expected.
5) The Badger School District Seniority and Teacher Certification list for the 2015-2016 school year was presented to staff and school board for review and approval.
6) The Border State Bank and community members have donated school supplies. Supplies will be distributed to students and classrooms throughout the year as needed.
7) A “Back to School Open House” was held on September 3, 2015, giving parents, tudents, and community members an opportunity to meet and greet teachers and administrators.
8) The Badger Staff Fall Workshop was held September 1-3, 2015. New staff and student teachers were introduced. District purpose and goals for the 2015-2016 academic year were reviewed and well as several meetings conducted. Time was allowed for classroom preparation.
9) The MREA Fall Regional Meeting is scheduled for September 24, 2015, from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Thief River Falls, MN. The meeting agenda was briefly reviewed. School Board Members were asked to register on-line if interested in attending. Those attending will leave from the Badger School at 5:45 p.m.10) The MSBA Fall Regional Meeting is scheduled for September 22, 2015, at 5:00 at the Thief River Falls High School. The meeting agenda was briefly reviewed. School Board Members were asked to register on-line if interested in attending. Those attending will leave from the Badger School at 3:45 p.m.
11) The MREA Annual Conference will be held November 15-17, 2015, in Brainerd, Minnesota. Interested School Board Members were asked to let Mr. Jerome know if they are interested in attending.
12) Long Term Facility Maintenance Revenue (LTFMR) was reviewed and discussed. Districts are eligible for funding for facility maintenance over the next ten years. The revenue is a combination of local levy money and state share of equalized revenue. Approximate dollars anticipated were reviewed.
13) Long Term Facility Maintenance Revenue Factors were briefly reviewed. Revenue is generally based on enrollment, land values and net tax capacity.
14) A Long Term Facility Maintenance 10-year plan must be reviewed, approved by the School Board and submitted to the Minnesota Department of Education every two years. Superintendent Jerome reviewed spreadsheets explaining the LTFM.
15) As of September 9, 2015, Badger School enrollment is 254. Enrollment by grade was reviewed.
16) The Staff has been surveyed regarding interest in piloting technology 1 to 1 initiative. iPads have been ordered for use at the elementary level. Plans are being finalized regarding implementation of 1 to 1 pilot program laptop initiative.
17) Non-certified staff agreements have expired. Member Christianson and Member Creviston volunteered to serve on the committee to review and propose contracts for non-certified staff.
Dean of Students Report:
1) Homecoming dates and events were reviewed.
2) The high school master schedule was reviewed and discussed.
3) On-line College in the High School (OCHS) enrollment numbers were reviewed and discussed.
4) Ramp-Up for Readiness begins on Tuesday, September 15, 2015.
5) A video provided by the MSHSL entitled “Why We Play” was viewed.
1) A motion was made by Member Rhen to accept the cash report as of August 31, 2015. Member Dostal seconded the motion. U.C.
Old Business: None
1) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Rhen to approve the Long Term Facility Maintenance 10-year plan as presented. U.C.
2) A motion was made by Member Christianson and seconded by Member Rhen to approve the Badger School District/Education Association Master Agreement for 2015-2017. U.C.
3) A motion was made by Member Isane and seconded by Member Dostal to approve the hire of Shelly Nelson for employment as a paraprofessional. U.C.
4) A motion was made by Member Rhen and seconded by Member Creviston to approve the teacher seniority list as presented. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Dostal to adjourn the meeting at 9:02 p.m. U.C.
1) Safety Committee Meeting – October 12, 2015 @ 6:30 in the FACS Room
1) Regular School Board Meeting – October 12, 2015 @ 7:30 p.m. – ITV Room
Cari Dostal, Clerk
Jamie Isane, Chairperson
(October 21, 2015)