Chairperson, Jamie Isane, called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m.
Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, Carol Rhen, Cari Dostal, Connie Creviston, Jeramy Swenson
Administration present: Tom Jerome, Joni Pelowski, Stacey Warne
Department Managers present: Jarod Magnusson
Visitors present: Tracee Bruggeman, Gretchen Lee, Sherri Kruger, Robby Davy, Richard Otto, Sandy Otto, Barbara Holum, Marsha Yates, David Nelson, Christopher Rhen, Clifford Hamann, Gloria Hamann, Janet Skramstad, Carol Gregerson, Carolyn Lange, Anne Erickson, Scott Erickson, Tina Erickson, Farrell Erickson, Doug Clark, Kay Clark, Gary Skramstad
Tracee Bruggeman of Brady, Martz & Associates, P.C., presented the 2014-2015 annual audit report.
Robby Davy presented a report on events and activities at the National FCCLA Conference.
Jim Christianson presented a Safety Committee Report.
Visiting citizens of the Badger Community reiterated their concern regarding the petition submitted at the September 14, 2015, School Board Meeting. Several of those in attendance stated their reasons for wanting to bring more traditional Christmas music into our December music programs, and for wanting to reinstate the word “Christmas” in Christmas Vacation, Christmas Concert, and Christmas Program.
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the minutes of the September 14, 2015, Regular Board Meeting. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Dostal to approve the minutes of the September 30, 2015, Special Board Meeting. Member Christianson seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Creviston to approve the payment of bills check #56267 through check #56325 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated October 6, 2015, and Electronic Funds Transfers as submitted. Member Christianson seconded the motion. U.C.
Superintendent Jerome reported on the following items:
1) Jarod Magnusson reported the building and grounds in good shape. Fall projects are currently being completed. He intends to start the boilers next week.
2) As of October 9, 2015, Badger School enrollment is 256.
3) Non-certified staff committee consisting of Board Members, Christianson and Creviston, as well as Superintendent Jerome, reviewed existing contracts and met with all non-certified employee groups. The Committee finalized and recommended contract agreements for 2015-2017. Contracts will be presented to non-certified staff following School Board action.
4) Superintendent Jerome reviewed District fund balance totals as reported by Tracee Bruggeman of Brady Martz & Associates.
5) Superintendent Jerome reviewed the unreserved fund balance history as reported by audit by school year.
6) Badger School early/late start or cancellation procedures were reviewed. Student safety is the number one priority. The School Transportation Director, County or State Officials and/or law enforcement are consulted prior to a making a decision.
7) The Minnesota State High School League has created a foundation offering grant dollars to be utilized to assist students in need as it relates to extracurricular participation fees. A resolution is required to verify School Board support.
8) A mock OSHA inspection was recently conducted by Barb Schmitz. Findings and comments were distributed and reviewed.
9) 120 iPads as well as 21 Mac Book Air laptops have been delivered to the Badger School. The iPads will be available in the classroom for every student in grade K-5. Laptops will be distributed for use for all students in grade 6. Laptops have also been ordered for a pilot program at the secondary grade level. Administration is exploring the possibility of using electronic text books.
10) Parent Teacher Conferences were held on October 8, 2015. Attendance at the elementary level was 90%, and 50% at the high school level.
11) Badger School District Policy 609, Religion, was distributed and reviewed. After much discussion, School Board Members agreed that they will not recommend any changes to the policy at this time.
12) Religious Education Release was discussed. Currently, elementary students are permitted to attend religious education class every Tuesday afternoon, allowing those students to lose classroom instructional time, and necessitate teachers to make adjustments to their classroom schedules.
13) Form A, MSHSL Foundation Application for Grant for Student Participation was reviewed and discussed.
14) A newspaper ad calling for bids for remodeling within the Badger School was reviewed and discussed.
15) Superintendent Jerome and School Board Members, Christianson and Rhen provided a brief presentation of information received at the MREA Convention.
16) Members Rhen and Dostal provided a brief summary of information received at the Minnesota School Board Association Meeting.
Dean of Students Report:
1) The Fall Community Education Flyer was distributed and reviewed.
2) OCHS enrollment was reviewed.
1) A motion was made by Member Swenson to accept the cash report as of September 30, 2015. Member Rhen seconded the motion. U.C
2) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Christianson to accept the first quarter budget report as presented. U.C.
3) A motion was made by Member Rhen and seconded by Member Swenson to approve the Safety Committee Report as presented. U.C.
1) A motion was made by Member Christianson and seconded by Member Rhen to approve the Fiscal Year 2015 Audited Financial Statements as reported by Brady Martz. U.C.
2) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Christianson to approve the Badger School District, Non-Certified Employee compensation as presented. U.C.
3) A motion was made by Member Dostal and seconded by Member Isane to adopt the following resolution:
WHEREAS, the Minnesota State High School League Foundation was formed to provide support for Minnesota’s High School youth to participate in athletics and fine arts; WHEREAS, the District 676 School Board recognized the value of students participation in extracurricular activities, and WHEREAS the MSHS Foundation is offering grants and funding to assist school districts in recognizing, promoting and funding extracurricular participation by high school students in athletic and fine arts programs. THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Badger School Board supports the District’s application to Minnesota State High School League Foundation for a grant to offset student activity fees. U.C.
4) A motion was made by Member Dostal and seconded by Member Swenson, to allow elementary students, with parental permission, to leave the school grounds forty five minutes a day, one day a week, to participate in religious education classes at the church of their choice. U.C.
5) A motion was made by Member Swenson and seconded by Member Dostal to approve the publication of an invitation for bids for remodeling within the Badger School. Isane, yes; Creviston, yes; Dostal, yes; Swenson, yes; Members Christianson and Rhen abstained.
A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Christianson to adjourn the meeting at 10:02 p.m. U.C.
1) Regular School Board Meeting – November 9, 2015 @ 7:30 p.m. – ITV Room
Cari Dostal, Clerk Jamie Isane, Chairperson
(November 11, 2015)