Chairperson, Jamie Isane, called the meeting to order at 7:38p.m.
Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, Carol Rhen, Cari Dostal, Connie Creviston, Jeramy Swenson
Administration present: Tom Jerome, Joni Pelowski, Stacey Warne
Department Managers present: Jarod Magnusson
Visitors present: Ryan Bergeron, Janice Mostofi
Truth in Taxation information was presented by Superintendent Jerome.
Visitor Comments: None
A motion was made by Member Christianson to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2015, Regular Board Meeting. Member Creviston seconded the motion. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Isane to approve the payment of bills check #56426 through check #56487 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated December 7, 2015, and Electronic Funds Transfers as submitted. Member Swenson seconded the motion. U.C.
Superintendent Jerome reported on the following items:
1) Jarod Magnusson reported that the boilers were recently serviced, and the Badger Fire Department made a courtesy call to check out the building. Sidewalks are being maintained and salted as needed.
2) As of December 7, 2015, Badger School enrollment is 256.
3) Region 1 Joint Powers Board election was held by secret ballot.
4) Badger School Board Members cast one ballot collectively for a Minnesota Rural Education Association (MREA) Board of Directors candidate. A motion was made by Member Christianson and seconded by Member Rhen to cast a unanimous vote for Mike Vasek of Fisher, Minnesota. U.C.
5) The 2016 School Board bill rotation schedule was reviewed.
6) Amy Svir and Robby Davy were nominated to represent Badger High School in the local “AAA” (Academics, Arts and Athletics) program. All “AAA” students will be honored at a Region 8 banquet in Mahnomen on February 10, 2016.
7) Ms. Kofstad and the 6th grade students have organized a community service project to gather food donations from all students in grade K-12. Sixth grade students will deliver the donations to the Roseau Area Food Shelf on December 21, 2015. They will also assist with stocking shelves and any other duties they are assigned.
8) The Badger School Scholastic Book Fair will be held in the school library December 12, 14, 15 and 16, 2015. All proceeds from the book fair will result in books and educational materials that will directly benefit classrooms and the library.
9) Junior students, Seth Dostal and Caitlynn Garten, have been nominated for the Minnesota State High School League’s Excel Award. Statewide winners will be announced in February.
10) A copy of the first reading of MSBA/MASA Model Policy 521, adopted in 1995, revised in 2013, Student Disability Nondiscrimination Policy, was distributed, reviewed, and discussed.
11) A copy of the first reading of MSBA/MASA Model Policy 413, adopted in 1995, revised in 2012, Harassment and Violence Policy, was distributed, reviewed, and discussed.
12) Brian Byklum, Northwest Service Coop Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator, conducted a review/observation at the Badger School on December 1, 2015. A summary report regarding review of programs as well as general observations was reviewed and discussed.
13) The District has advertised/sought bids for a remodeling project within the Badger School Building. Meetings have been conducted with multiple local contractors, but none have shown interest in submitting a bid. On December 7, 2015, the District received a bid from American General Contractors, Inc. The bid proposal and work timeline was reviewed and discussed.
14) The Elementary winter concert will be held on December 18, 2015, at 2:00 p.m.The High School winter concert will be held on December 21, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
15) Installation of the recently purchased iPads and laptops is in progress.
16) The two new busses were delivered to the school December 14, 2015. Both busses are equipped with audio, GPS and cameras.
Dean of Students Report:
1) The Seventh Annual Home for the Holidays sponsored by the Badger School Art Club was held at the Badger School on December 12, 2015, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm.
2) The Badger Jaycees are sponsoring a field trip for all students in Kindergarten through grade 6 to a movie with treats at the Roso Theater on December 22, 2015.
3) The Student Council is planning a fun day for high school students sometime prior to Christmas break. The activities and date remain a secret at this time.
1) A motion was made by Member Rhen to accept the cash report as of November 30, 2015. Member Dostal seconded the motion. U.C
1) A motion was made by Member Swenson and seconded by Member Christianson to certify the levy at the maximum amount. U.C.
2) A motion was made by Member Creviston and seconded by Member Rhen to approve the Badger School Capital proposal as presented. U.C.
A motion was made by Member Christianson and seconded by Member Creviston to adjourn the meeting at 9:18 p.m. U.C.
1) Regular School Board Meeting – January 11, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m. – ITV Room
Cari Dostal, Clerk
Jamie Isane, Chairperson
(January 13, 2016)