A Regular Meeting of the School Board of Badger ISD 676 was held Monday, April 11, 2016, beginning at 7:30 PM in the lTV Computer Lab.
1. Call to Order at 7:42 p.m.
1. 1. Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, Connie Creviston, Cari Dostal, Carol Rhen, Jeramy Swenson
1.2. Administration: Tom Jerome, Joni Pelowski and Stacey Warne
1. 3. Department Managers: None
2. Visitors Present/Comments: Ryan Bergeron, Gretchen Lee, Jandi VonEnde, Emma VonEnde, Robby Davy
2. 1. FCCLA Presentationes) Robby Davy and Emma VonEnde presented their 2015-2016 FCCLA Star Events. These students, along with five others will participate in the State FCCLA Conference April 13-16, 2016.
3. 1. Recommended motion: Member Creviston moved to approve the minutes of the March 14th, 2016, Regular Board Meeting. Motion seconded by Member Christianson. D.C.
3. 2. Recommended motion: Member Swenson moved to approve the minutes of the April 4th, 2016, Special Board Meeting. Motion seconded by Member Dostal. D.C.
4. Consent Agenda
4. 1. Pay Bills: Motion by Member Creviston to approve the payment of bills check #56695 through check #56757 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated April 5th, 2016, and Electronic Fund Transfers as submitted. Motion seconded by Member Isane. D.C.
5. Additional Agenda Items: Severe weather awareness week. Staff and students will participate in a tornado drill at 10:30 a.m. on April 14,2016, rather than taking part in the State drill due to State MCA testing.
6. 1. Superintendent
6. 1. a. No new updates on building and grounds
6. 1. b. Student Enrollment Numbers
• As of April 4th, 2016: Badger Enrollment is: 256
6. 1. c. • Badger School District 2016 – 2017 Academic Calendar – three options were reviewed and discussed
• All options include 172 instructional days
• All options include 8 staff development days (7 staff development days and two separate .5 days of PIT conferences).
• The BEA has received and reviewed all calendar options and recommends that option 3 be adopted.
6. 1. d. Family, Career and Community Leaders of America
• FCCLA State Conference is April 13th – 16th, 2016
• FCCLA Advisors are Mrs. Gretchen Lee and Mrs. Lorraine Kukowski
• Seven students have earned the right to present at State Conference in Bloomington
• Students will attempt to earn invitation to FCCLA National Conference in San Diego
• Students attending conference:
°Jory Bronson I Consumer Math Test
°Gavin Davy I Consumer Math Test
°Robby Davy I Environmental Ambassador
°Tyler Klegstad I Consumer Math Test
°Kennedy Truscinski I Recycle and Redesign
°Emma VonEnde I Financial Fitness
°Alex Ylitalo I Consumer Math Test
6. 1. e. Badger FIRST Robotics Team #3750 participated in the Cedar Rapids Iowa Regional and had the honor of competing with the top eight alliances in the elimination rounds. The team generated all funds necessary to cover expenses.
6. 1. f. Business Manager Position Shena Brandt has accepted position and will begin April 18th. Her hours will be 7:45 am to 4:15 pm.
6. 1. g. • Seventh grade students will attend Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center April 18-22, 2016.
• Students will tour the Sudan Mine on April 18th.
• Wolf Ridge Advisor is Mrs. Shannon Dostal and Stacey Warne will chaperone.
• All expenses associated with Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center experience are funded through grant dollars
• Board members interested in attending should contact Superintendent Jerome.
6. 1. h Badger District Fleet Vehicle Badger School District is exploring options regarding acquisition of a school fleet vehicle for staff/student transportation prior to start of 2016 2017 academic year
6. 1 i. K-6 Reading Curriculum
Houghton Mifflin Representative presented “Journeys” reading curriculum to K-6 Elementary staff
• Mrs. Becky Dostal has communicated that Elementary Staff is in support of Journeys curriculum
• A reading curriculum will be purchased utilizing 2016 – 2017 Capital Funds
6.2. Dean of Students
6. 2. a. Joint Sports Board meeting: April 13th at 8:00 p.m. in Greenbush
6. 2. b. Elementary Field Trips were reviewed and discussed
6. 2. c. Badger School District State Assessments testing calendar was reviewed.
6.2. d. Prom was held at the Badger School on April 9, 2016. There were 59 attendee’s.
7. 1. Accept Cash Report through March 31,2016 subject to audit. Motion by Member Rhen, second by Member Christianson U.C.
7. 2. Accept third quarter report as presented, subject to audit. Motion by Member Swenson, second by Member Dostal U.C.
8. Old Business – None
9. New Business
9. 1. Approve calendar option # 3 for the 2016 – 2017 academic year. Motion by Member Creviston, second by Member Rhen U.C.
9. 2. Accept resignation of John Wirta as evening custodian. Motion by Member Dostal, second by Member Christianson D.C.
10. Adjourn Motion by Member Creviston, second by Member Christianson to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 p.m U.C.
1) Safety Committee Meeting – May 9, 2016 @ 6:30 pm in the lTV room
2) Regular School Board Meeting – May 9,2016 @ 7:30 pm in the lTV room Cari Dostal, Clerk Jamie Isane, Chairperson
(May 25, 2016)