Minutes of Regular Meeting
The Board of Trustees
Badger ISD 676
Minutes of Regular Meeting
The Board of Trustees
Badger ISD 676
A Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees of Badger ISD676 was held Monday, October 14, 2019, beginning at 7:30PM in the FACS Room.
1. Call to Order at 7:35 P.M.
1. 1. Roll Call: Jamie Isane, Jim Christianson, CariDostal, Jeramy Swenson, Curt Hauger
Absent: Carol Rhen
1. 2. Administration: Kevin Ricke, Shena Brandt andStacey Warne
1. 3. Department Managers absent: Jarod Magnusson
2. Visitors Present: Tracee Bruggeman, Ryan Bergeron,]Mike Coltom, Sherri Kukowski, and Janice Mostofi
Visitor Comments: None
3. Approval of Agenda
3. 1. A motion was made by Member Hauger,seconded by Member Christianson and UC that,
BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Education approve the agenda of the October 14th, 2019 Regular Board Meeting as presented/amended.
• Amend item 8.1 and approve advertising for a Regular Part-time Substitute Assistant
Cook in Food Service.
4. 1. Recommended motion: Member Swenson moved to approve the minutes of the September 9th, 2019 Regular Board Meeting. Motion seconded by Member Christianson. U.C.
4. 2. Recommended motion: Member Christianson moved to approve the minutes of the September 17th, 2019 Special Board Meeting. Motion
seconded by Member Swenson. U.C.
4. 3. Recommended motion: Member Hauger moved to approve the minutes of the September 23rd, 2019 Special Board Meeting. Motion seconded by
Member Christianson. U.C.
5. Consent Agenda
5. 1. Pay Bills: Motion by Member Christianson to approve the payment of bills check # 59663 through check # 59729 as listed, Purchasing Card electronic payments dated October 3rd, 2019 and Electronic Fund Transfers as submitted. Motion seconded by Member Isane. U.C.
5. 2. Pay Bills: Motion by Member Swenson to approve the payment of Student Activity bills check # 4979 through check # 4991 as listed.
Motion seconded by Member Christianson. U.C.
6. 1. Superintendent
6. 1. a. Building and Grounds
• Boiler tube rework is complete
• Heating coils have been installed by Jarod and Peterson Sheet Metal
• We have all supplies for the locker room remodel project, but have not heard when install will take place
• There is electrical work that needs to be done in the Robotics area which includes adding outlets, adding a welder outlet, wiring in two ceiling fans, wiring in lights over workbenches, and completing the wiring for the new furnace
• Furnace has not been received yet.
• Need to look for extra carpet for the para room in library. If none is found we will order more.
6. 1. b. Badger Parent/Teacher Conferences: Thursday, October 3rd Early Out Day dismissed at 12:30pm and conferences from 1:30 to 7:30pm
6. 1. c. Review of Badger School early/late start or cancellation procedure
• Student Safety is number one priority
• Communication begins early in morning with Transportation Director, may involve communication with County or State officials and/or law enforcement
• Blackboard Connect / First Alert notification system is utilized to communicate modified school schedule
• Media is contacted as well (radio stations, television stations as well as Grand Forks Herald.
• School webpage is also utilized to communicate any changes to school schedule due to weather or other unforeseen events
6. 1. d. Badger School District Snow Removal
• Previously there was one bid; however, that bidder has rescinded their submission as they have no way to move the snow
• Recommendation is to run advertisement for one more month.
• See attached document which will be edited as needed regarding dates.
• It was recommended that Mr. Ricke contact Angie at the City of Badger to get their bid specs and provide to anyone interested.
6. 1. e. School Board Meeting Restricted Dates: Second Monday of November is Veterans Day. The November School Board Meeting will be held Tuesday, November 12th.
• Please see attached document
6. 1. f. National Custodial Workers’ Recognition Day Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019
6. 1. g. National Fire Prevention Week October 6-12, 2019
6. 1. h. Overland Flooding: Thank you to Badger Senior and Junior volunteers for emergency sandbagging on Monday, September 23rd, 2019
6. 1. i. Student Reach MN Assembly: 2:00pm Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 with live band Yam Haus and keynote speaker Terrence Talley. The “Don’t Give Up!” message was energizing and encouraging.
6. 1. j. Release Time began Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 collaborating with area churches
6. 1. k. Prom Advisor letter of resignation after] conclusion of SY2019-2020
6. 1. k. a. If resignation accepted, then recommend waiting until next spring/summer of 2020 to advertise.
6. 1. k. b. Current Prom Advisor is providing notice more than a year in advance so any interested candidates may wish to jobshadow the role this spring.
6. 1. l.
6. 1. m.
Request for Reduction in Hours by a Paraprofessional and to Explore a Shared- Time Position
• Member Hauger indicated it is more difficult to find someone to work 3 days a week. Member Isane recommended finding someone to work Monday, Wednesday, Friday first. Member Hauger said the paraprofessional supervisors should be included in on the discussion as academic continuity is important for staff and students.
Review of Meet and Confer
• Full-time Superintendent/Principal
• Layout of building rearrange to meet the needs of Preschool/ECFE and due to disturbance to high school
• Would like more meetings in the future to discuss and to form a committee
6. 1. n. Badger School District Financial Audit
6. 1. n. a. Brady Martz provide results of audit as of June 30th, 2019
6. 1. n. b. Badger School District General Fund Balance and Average Daily Membership Historical Trend Data
6. 2. Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) for Assistant Cook in Food Service; medical verification has been provided. Position will now need to be posted. See revision to agenda item 8.1.
6. 3. Dean of Students
6. 3. a. Enrollment Numbers
6. 3. b. CLIMB Theatre: Tuesday, November 5, 2019
6. 3. c. Minnesota State High School League Foundation Application for Grant for Student Participation
6. 3. d. Post Season Section 8A Tournament Dates
• The football team has a record of 4-3.
We will host a play-off game on October 22nd. The semi-final game will be October 26th. Section Championship game will be October 31st.
• The Volleyball team is 3rd in the subsection.
The volleyball play-off schedule is October 21st, 24th, 25th, 29th, and championship game will be November 1st.
6. 3. e. Veterans Day Program Monday, November 11th, 2019
• The Student Council will be putting the program on. Mr. Johnson is the student council advisor.
6. 3. f. School Bus Route Observations
• Bus observations are complete. Need to work with small children on sitting on bus
• Member Hauger mentioned there should be cameras on the buses Reports
7. 1. Accept Cash Report through September 30th, 2019 subject to audit.
Motion by Member Dostal, Second by Member Hauger. U.C.
7. 2. Accept Badger School District Budget First Quarter Reports subject to audit.
Motion by Member Swenson, Second by Member Christianson. U.C.
7. 3. Brady Martz: Independent Audit of Badger School District FY 19
• Please view attachment; however, please do not print because it is a 62+ page document.
• Brady Martz has prepared a spiral bound booklet for the presentation at the meeting.
7. 4. Levy Certification: The 2019 Payable 2020 Levy Limit form was not available through MDE at the September 9th, 2019 School Board Meeting
• The School Board voted to certify the MAXIMUM levy authority
• The preliminary amount appears to be $361,877.40 before county auditor
• This appears to be a 1.45% decrease or $5,315.03 less compared to last year’s 2018
8. Proposed Resolutions for October 14th, 2019
8. 1. Approve advertising for Regular Part-Time Assistant Cook in Food Service. Motion by Member Swenson, Second by Member Dostal.
8. 2. WHERAS, the Minnesota State High School League Foundation was formed to provide support for Minnesota’s high school youth to participate in athletics and fine arts;
WHEREAS, the Badger School District #676 School Board recognizes the value of students participation in extracurricular activities; and
WHEREAS, the MSHSL Foundation is offering grants and funding to assist school districts in recognizing, promoting and funding extracurricular participation by high school students in athletic and fine arts programs.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Badger School District #676 School Board supports the District’s application to the Minnesota State High School League Foundation for a FORM A grant to offset student activity fees. Motion by Member Hauger, Second by Member Christianson. U.C.
8. 3. Accept resignation of Sherri Kukowski as Prom Advisor at the conclusion of SY2019-2020.
Motion by Member Christianson, Second by Member Dostal. U.C.
8. 4. Accept request for hours’ reduction by Paraprofessional Sue Smith down to Tuesdays and Thursdays only; contingent on finding a suitable replacement for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays when school is in session. Motion
_______________ Second __________________.
Member Isane indicated that he would like to table the agenda item. The motion died due to lack of motion.
8. 5. Approve the Badger School District Fiscal Year 2019 Independent Financial Audit as prepared and presented by Brady Martz. Motion by
Member Christianson, Second by Member Dostal.
8. 6. Approve advertising for a Part-time Paraprofessional for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays when school is in session. Motion
_______________ Second ______________.
Motion died due to lack of a motion.
8. 7. Approve advertising (re-advertising) for Snow Removal Bids. Motion by Member Dostal, Second by Member Christianson. U.C.
Motion by Member Christianson, Second by Member Hauger to adjourn the meeting at 9:01 p.m. U.C.
Cari Dostal, Clerk Jamie Isane,
(November 20, 2019)